About the Adult Courses
Our School is offering to the adult students that want to learn Greek, the possibility to join one of its Adult Courses that run every year since 2006. The Greek School of Nottingham is a great place for everybody to learn Greek because:
- Courses are taught by Greek qualified and experienced tutors
- We focus on all language skills: Listening, Speaking, Writing and Reading
- An in-depth explanation of Greek grammar and syntax is given
- A rich, both in quantity and quality, teaching material is provided including free of charge handouts and access to electronic copies
- Classes are computer driven with use of smartboards, audio and video material and e-learning environment (Moodle)
- Our adult students are encouraged and welcome to join, if they wish, all Greek Community's of Nottingham special events such as Greek nights and Dinner and Dances. Therefore they can mix with the Greek speaking members of our community, something which contributes positively in their Greek learning.
- We offer extremely competitive prices
The School is inviting adults from all kinds of backgrounds to join the Adult Courses. Whether you are of a Greek origin and you want to improve your skills and knowledge in Greek, or you are looking to learn the language of the philosophers, democracy and sunny islands this is the time to do it!
All courses are taught in 30 weekly, 2-hour sessions (totalling 60 hours), and classes take place from 19.00 until 21.00. Classes begin the second week of October 2021 and finish at the end of June 2022. The following 3 courses are scheduled to run for the academic year 2021-2022:
Modern Greek, Beginners (running on a Tuesday 19:00-21:00)
The course is mainly targeting adults that have not taken any Greek lessons before. The course will begin with the basics such as learning the Greek alphabet, pronunciation and grammar covering in parallel topics and vocabulary of everyday life.
Modern Greek, Advanced (running on a Tuesday 19:00-21:00)
Students enrolling to the Advanced course of the Greek School of Nottingham will join a class of students that have at least a 2-year experience of Greek classes. Students will need to know the basic tenses (Present, Past and Future), have an extended vocabulary on basic topics and be able to perform adequately in all the 4 skills (Reading, Writing, Speaking, Listening).
New course for 2022 - Holiday Greek
This new course, starting in March 2022, is targeting mainly holiday makers (but also people who visit Greece on a regular basis) and would like to acquire some basic knowledge of Greek language and culture.
It consists of 10 two-hour lessons (exact days and times to be confirmed early 2022).
At the end of this short course learners will be able to hold informal conversations covering main holiday topics such as:
a. Meet and greed people,
b. Introduce themselves and asking/answering questions such as:
- How are you, Where are you from,
- Where do you live,
- What do you do for living etc.
d. Order in a cafe/ restaurant,
e. Call a taxi
f. At the airport, railway station, etc
The cost of the course is £95.00 and all teaching material/hand outs is provided free of charge
The fees for each adult for the academic year 2021-2022 are set at £305 for the whole year (no registration fees). Students have the option to pay the fees in 3 instalments, each due at the beginning of each term (£95 for term one, £105 for term two, and £105 for term 3).